Building the Foundation – 10 Sessions
This particular class provides a unique opportunity for 10 teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17 to work with local documentary filmmaker, Troy Burnette, to learn how to interview, film, and produce footage. This course will engage students in the power of film and storytelling by providing them with hands-on experience in filmmaking while also teaching them about the Asheville community.
During the 10-session class, students will be conducting interviews with interesting members of the Asheville community that will be turned into short mini-documentaries ready for YouTube. Interviews will be designed to gather stories about the area told through the eyes of the eclectic group of individuals who call WNC home.
Troy Burnette has directed, edited and produced hours of video and film content over the years . As well as a extensive career in production, Troy as taught many classes at ACT and Western Piedmont Community college. He studied at Full Sail Film School in Orlando, FL, and The Art Institute of Atlanta. He has worked in Asheville for over 15 years on multiple projects and varied clients such as EA sports and Grammy winning Kid’s Hip-Hop Artist, 23 Skidoo. Troy believes strongly in getting as much input from the kids as possible and teaches them with a hands-on approach. He also writes and performs two monthly shows with Super Happy Productions which he co-formed with other Asheville acting alumni.
Start Date: February 7, 2019 from 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Location: Brandi Nichole Family Enrichment Center, 3400 Sweeten Creek Road, Arden, NC
The goals of the filmmaking class is for each participant to be able to:
- Learn the principles of effective visual and audible storytelling.
- Communicate ideas to the targeted audience.
- Collaborate in an effective and flexible way by being able to work as a team member as well as assume leadership.
- Learn about the filmmaking process.
- Tell the stories of others with dignity and respect.
Expectations of each participant:
- HAVE FUN!!!
- Ask questions.
- Bring your creativity.
- Follow the direction of the instructor.
- Follow all safety rules.
- Remain with the group at all times.
- Operate as part of a team.
- No disruptive behaviors and definitely no verbal or physical aggression.
- Express thought and ideas in a respectful manner to instructor and other students.
The tuition per student is $150 for the 10-session class. On checkout, please enter the student’s name and their current grade level in the section “Order notes (Optional).