340 Victoria Rd
Asheville, NC 28801
The Y.E.S. Chef! Youth Culinary Program and Competition is one of our Brighter Futures Youth Enrichment Service programs. This program is about bringing local talent to our WNC restaurant/hospitality community while investing in Asheville’s future culinary artisans..
- We teamed up four high school students with the chef at a participating restaurant where he/she mentors them in the fundamentals of culinary technique.
- While working in the restaurant they learn to create two healthy food items that will be presented in a culinary competition.
- On November 3, 2018, the students and their restaurant mentors will participate in a food competition at A-B Tech.
- The winner of the competition will hold bragging rights (along with a traveling trophy) for one year!
Participating High Schools and Restaurants
We have some fierce competition planned for November 3rd. Right now, four participating restaurants are mentoring students from four area high schools:
- Clyde A. Erwin High School students are teamed up with The Biltmore Estates
- Asheville High School students are teamed up with Chestnut
- North Buncombe High School students are teamed up with Blue Ridge at The Omni Grove Park
- TC Roberson High School Studens are teamed up with Dining Innovations at Biltmore Farms DoubleTree
Become a Program Sponsor
We are looking for businesses to sponsor the talents of our youth through the Y.E.S. Chef! Youth Culinary Program and Competition (click here to view our current list of sponsors). There are a number of affordable opportunities to showcase the products and services your business offers to our community. Pre- and post-event promotion on social media, in press releases, and printed flyers will let people know your business cares about investing in our youth. You will also have the ability to get in front of a large audience on the day of the event. Please click here for more information on sponsor opportunities.
Attend the Competition
Date: November 3, 2018
Time: Noon to 4:00 pm (arrived any time between those hours and stay as long as you would like)
LocatIon: A-B Tech, Magnolia Room
Details: The competition begins at noon on November 3rd and runs until 4:00pm. You can arrive at any time and stay as long as you like. The cost to attend is $10 per person which allows you to sample four food items and gives you a bottle of water. Once at the event, you can purchase additional tokens to sample more food items for $3 a token. Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, September 27th.
Judging: There are two types of judging that will occur at this event. We will have a panel of professionals from the restaurant community judging the dishes. The youth attending the event will also have the opportunity to judge the food items made by their peers. When the youth arrive at the event, they will be given a ballot to complete. At the end of the event, the ballots will be tallied. The winning restaurant will receive a trophy that will be housed at their location for one year. The winning students will receive a chef jacket.
Door Prizes: The Joseph Initiative will be raffling off various prizes throughout the day. You do not need to be present to win a prize. Click here or email [email protected] to donate a door prize.
Entertainment: We will have music and other activities on the day of the event.